Monday, November 9, 2009

Favourites

So I was starting to think over the weekend about what my favourite pieces would be. There are so many different factors that come into play, that I was thinking that maybe its more realistic to choose a favorite piece in different categories. However, the issue with trying to do this is figuring out fair categories so that that I am not lumping too much or too little together. But then I started to really think about it properly... and thought... screw this! Lets just try to list as many of my favourites as possible:

Es ist vollbracht - St John Passion - J.S. Bach
Erbarme dich - St Matthew Passion - J.S. Bach
Lord, thou hast been our refuge - R.V. Williams
Missa Brevis - Z. Kodaly
Chichester Psalms - L. Bernstein

and the list goes on, but I think I'll continue it later.....after you give me yours!

1 comment:

  1. So these are all favourite choral pieces. What would your favourite symphonies, operas and chamber pieces would be? As far as catergories would there be a favourite Mahler Symphony or would you pit Mahler against Beethoven? And in those two composers do you prefer the choral symphonies to the straight instrumental symphonies simply by virtue of them being choral? A very expansive process! As a counter-tenor, do you have a favourite lute song or collection of lute songs? As musicians, I think it is often what we are working on at the time that will float to the top of the list but it can become very difficult to edit pieces out once they are added to the list.

    ReplyDelete