Sunday, September 27, 2009

And I continue...

Today was good and reminded me of the good ol' days here in Ottawa. The CCC choir sang a very good service of Missa Papa Marcelli - Palestrina, Exultate Deo - Palestrina, and Cantate Domino - Schutz. Then a classic Decani Vs Cantoris baseball game and BBQ.

Singing here is fun but unfortunately does not at the frequency of England's Cathedral Choirs. If the Christ Church Cathedral Choir here in Ottawa sang as often as the English choirs we could be a very exciting group! Unfortunately we have an issue of financing which is common everywhere, and laziness on the behalf of the clergy! After a short conversation, it seems to me that the cathedral does not sing evensong because the clergy don't want to spend the time leading a service for only 10-20 people! Does this not defeat the purpose or goal of the clergy of the Anglican Church. Are they not to provide leadership in faith to all peoples in various manners. Especially in a institute that has the best Men and Boys choir in the country and an extremely talented girls choir! The service of evensong should be encouraged. A lot of people find evensong to be a more moving and spiritually fulfilling service.

OK.... so I know you are thinking I should be going on more about my venture to making it as a professional singer, but on my way, I am moved by what is going on in the church around me and the music I am involved in making along the way. So yes the evensong moaning is relevant.

But...moving on. I had a very interesting moment yesterday afternoon. I am a professional chorister in the Ottawa Choral Society, and we had a rehearsal yesterday. The Sops and altos were divided from the Tenors and Basses, and because for the upcoming concert I am singing bass I joined the tenors and basses. We were rehearsing for a pops concert at the NAC and running through Andrew Lloyd Webbers Pie Jesu, as Matthew Larkin started to sing the Treble solo and stopped before the top A so I jumped in and finished the line. So, as the men started to Hum their parts Matthew said to me,'You cover the top part and lets do the duet' So as it came along Matthew and I sang through to the end. At the end of the rehearsal one of the gents came to me and told me my duet with Matthew was beautiful. So I laughed thinking he was being sarcastic. I was shocked to learn he was not, when he replied,'No, I found it very moving!' Just goes to show we don't all have good taste!

....that's all for now!

P.s. I do have to say that the number of Men and Boys choirs is now in question. I have been informed that Grace Church on the Hill still actually has a Men and Boys choir but is often supplemented by girls! So there are technically three but really two that are surviving in the old tradition!

2 comments:

  1. You should head down to the archives in the basement of CCC and have a read of my DMus thesis - Matthew knows where it is - you might find the history of the Men and Boys (before your time - heck before MY time) quite interesting - and also the tradition of Men and Boy's choirs in Canada in General. I've just come back from a week working the boys choirs in Grande Prairie - not Anglican - but still a full program of just boys up to College age. A real eye opener, considering a small northern Alberta town of oil and farming (and cold and snow) can support this, and do it well - and Edmonton has no opportunities of this type for boys voices.

    Matthew is doing great things at CCC - despite the adversity he is faced with - which go far beyond financial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Tip! Will go check it out!

    ReplyDelete